Skip to main content

Alenka's Blogoversary Challenge and Blog Hop!

I met Alenka (Pepita Handmade) through an earring swap.  She makes some really great polymer clay creations.  She was having her year blogoversary and asked for participants to create something with a random component she would send. She didn't even know what she sent each participant, so the reveal was a surprise to hear too!  I received this bracelet bar:

Now, I had several ideas of what to make for the big reveal!  However, I did not have the right materials to make what was in my head.  And then when I decided to make something with parts I did have, it just didn't turn out the way I wanted. 

I made this bracelet, so that I would have something for the reveal:

I used three different kinds of antiqued copper chain, and an antiqued copper clasp that mimicked the lines of the bracelet bar.

However, this is not what I wanted to make.  I have an idea, and hopefully after Bead Fest I will be able to make what I really wanted to make.  I will show you when it's done!

Thank you so much to Alenka for providing us with the parts for this challenge!  Here's a list of all the participants - please visit them and Alenka!

Ginger Bishop           
Susan Kennedy         
Becky Pancake          
Evelyn Shelby --> Ev received a broken piece, so I've sent to her another one. Hope it arrives in time.  
Dini Bruinsma           
Penny May     
Carolyn Lawson       
Ana Cravidao                        
Dolores Raml                        
Cynthia Machata --> Cynthia will use one of the components she won in my previous giveaway.

Comments

Pepita said…
Hi Sue,
I know you are so busy now and thank you for dedicating some time for my blog hop.
The bracelet is pretty this way, too, as the chevron pattern is rich by itself and I bet it looks good on a wrist. I'm sure it will be interesting to see a second version as well, if you decide to change it.
Thanks again for participating in my blogoversary celebration!
Alenka
Jo-Ann said…
Can't wait to see what you really wanted to create!
Unknown said…
Although it is not what you had in mind, it looks nice, a happy summery bracelet! What a beautiful colourful component Alenka sent you... Have fun with it!
Becky Pancake said…
The copper looks good with the bracelet bar. I'll be back to see what you change it to .
Very pretty piece and the toggle does look great with it!
Alice said…
It may not have been what you wanted to make, but it sure is a wonderful piece! I love the dark metal with the colorful bracelet bar!
CraftyHope said…
That polymer clay piece is great with the simplicity of the mixed chains, but I cannot wait to see what it is you've got imagined for it. I'm sure it'll be stunning!!
Barb Fernald said…
Love the multiple chains on this bracelet. They really work well with the component you received.
I hope Bead Fest is a lucrative blast for you!
I find the copper is a great dramatic pairing with the bright cuff, Sue... I love this look, but I understand how time constraints are standing in the way of your adding that "certain touch" you are seeing in your mind's eye. Some of your custom lampwork, perhaps?
Ann Schroeder said…
Wow, if this is just your "other" I can't wait to see the design that is in your head come to life. This bracelet is beautiful!
Dolores Raml said…
This turned out pretty neat, but can't wait to see how you change it up.
Hi Susan,
Wow that is a beautiful and brightly colored bracelet bar you received from Alenka. I like the bracelet you made and I am looking forward to seeing the new design you are going to make with it later.
Therese
ACBeads said…
I like the way you've combined the chain and clasp with Alenka's bar. Neverthless, I'll come back to see your original idea as I am now a follower to your blog. Good luck to Bead Fest!
Kepi said…
Love your bracelet, so bright and cheery. Your design turned out terrific, great job!
anafiassa said…
I know it's not what you had in mind, but I still think this piece is lovely! I really like the clasp design mirrors that of Alenka's focal.

Wonderful work--and I'm excited to see what you re-make it into, if you decide to do so. :)
Nelly May said…
I think by using chain the striking design of Alenka's component is allowed to really take centre stage. Bold and beautiful! Interested to know what your final plans for it are.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w